• Gaiman and Ness

    It's that time of the year again when they are showing nonstop scary movies on tv, highly commercializing the dark and mysterious ghosts and ghouls, and putting up horror booths to spook people out for a price, and it's also the perfect time for reading a few good books to get in the Halloween mood. After all, books have longer lasting effects than movies since it involves a deeper psychological investment, and with that, I mean books takes hours to finish that's why it really gets to you unlike some 2-hour movie.



    I spent the past two days in the company of these books which I certainly enjoyed.

    The Graveyard Book is an unusual coming-of-age story that begins with the murder of the family of a baby who happened to escape his untimely death in the hands of the murderer, Jack, and ended up being raised by ghosts in the town's graveyard. 3.9 out of 5 stars :)

    A Monster Calls, on the other hand, is a tale about a monster who constantly visits Conor O'Malley in the dead of the night asking for the truth. What truth? Well, I'm afraid you have to grab a copy of this book and find out for yourselves. Gone were the days when I thought I could just read an incredibly heartbreaking book and put it down unscathed. I am usually emotionless and unsympathetic towards literary characters in standalone books (don't ask. i don't know why either), but this book really got to me. It has tugged at my heart in more ways than one, and maybe, just maybe, if you ever find yourself reading this book 'til its very last printed word, it might do the same to you.
    Share: